I like being a writer.
A variant on an old jokeI got up this morning, and I wrote a song in my pajamas.
How a song got in my pajamas, I will never know.
IS REY FROM STAR WARS VII A MARY-SUE?IS REY FROM STAR WARS VII A MARY-SUE?
My immediate reaction is no. No, Rey is not a Mary-Sue. Because a Mary-Sue wraps the story around herself, until the entire story is about her. That does not happen in Episode VII: she certainly is relevant to the plot, but that’s because she’s the protagonist!
But I can see where these folks have a point: there are things about Rey that grate a bit, how she knows how to do so many things in the movie. I would say that she is on the border. But let’s put her to the test:
Putting rey to my Mary-Sue test 2.0:
She is several times shown to have great skill at several things, particularly, piloting and repairing spaceships. She also is shown to be able to understand droid languages that most people need a translator droid for
Different people desire her for different reasons: Discount Vader wants her for the map to Luke, Whatsisname the ex-Stormtrooper is attracted to her, Han Solo sees h
Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu Test, Version 2.0My first test (and every test that I have seen, actually) work by counting up character features and counting up the ‘score.’ In the context of the great variety of stories and settings, this is not a very accurate measure. In this test, I will try something different, in hopes of producing a more accurate test.
The point of this test is to help people to look at their characters, and understand if there is a problem, something that needs to be worked on, not to make anyone feel bad about their characters. So no putting other people's characters through the test and then going 'ha-ha! Your character's a Mary-Sue!'
What makes a Sue a Sue(or a Stu a Stu) is that they are MORE than any other character: more beautiful, they get more attention, they are more skilled, more strong, etc.
So, is the character. . .
(if the character is more skilled in multiple areas, each of which has bearing on the plot, add an extr
Quote of the Day, Series 4: 85Heaven and Hell seem to me mere abstractions, what matters is this world, and what we do in it.
Paneling tips for manga
Paneling is a part of Graphic design. O_- It's an art in itself, think of how you would do a collage and put together a puzzle, that's how paneling works.
You must understand the basic 2D design element:
movement, center of interest, value contrast, volume, size, perspective.... so on and on....
As for paneling.... there is no set way to do it, whether drawing the picture first, or draw the panel's first, or draw the panels and the pictures back and forth.... it's all upto the artist, as long as the result is satisfying to the artist. Just experiement and find the best way that suits you.
1. Panels must support your content: That's the most important thing.... if one line is going over an important character's head shot, omit that line and let the character stand out~ If one frame is more important than the other, you wish to make it a focus on the page, make that frame larger than the others, sometimes it can even overlap other panels alittle. However, being overly complicated
What Is A Copyright?
Copyrights: What Artists Ought To Know
What is a copyright?
n. Abbr. c. or cop.
The legal right granted to an author, composer, playwright, publisher, or distributor to exclusive publication, production, sale, or distribution of a literary, musical, dramatic, or artistic work. " (Dictionary.com)
As the definition states, copyrights exist to assure that the creator of the copyrighted material is the individual who gets to earn the profit from their work, and gives them the legal control over what they created. The control it grants is the right to decide when, where and how the creation is used or published within the United States and other countries.
This means that when you create something such as a Furcadian portrait, or a piece of character art, you initially hold the right to decide what to do with it – upload it to a web space, let a friend use it, stick it on DeviantArt or your own website, or even to sell the piece itself. When uploading the piece to places such as
Carving Skulls and Stuff
CARVING SKULLS & STUFF (11-FEB-08)
This is intended as a continuing project. I'll be adding to it, and editing it for greater clarity, in response to your comments and questions. So if something is left out, or not clear, please let me know. Eventually, this may turn into a proper tutorial, but I'm starting out small, so that people who are asking questions don't have to wait until that possibly distant time. And so people can tell me what they actually need to know.
Goggles -- I don't carve unless I'm wearing some sort of eye protection, usually magnifying goggles (because I'm getting old and can't focus up close anymore), but sometimes non-magnifying ones. Chunks of stuff can fly about, and you don't want them in your eyes.
Respirator or dust mask -- Dust is not good for your lungs, and power carving can produce lots of dust. The dust of bone, antler, and shell is very bad; it can _permanently_ clog parts of your lungs. Many stone and
DepressionI've heard so many people tell those who suffer depression to just 'cheer up.' I wonder if they can really believe that it's that simple.
Depression isn't just sadness. It is emptiness, it is misery. It is pain and nothingness at once. When you are truly depressed you lack the ability or will to cheer yourself up. No one just 'has depression.' You suffer from it. This is depression:
You will wake at 5, 6, maybe 7am, feeling as though you had only just fallen asleep. It's likely you did. If you don't have to be somewhere, you could lie in bed for another 3 hours...too tired, too miserable and pathetic to crawl out of you bed. Or maybe you will sleep until 1pm, because it's so much easier to sleep through most of the day than actually live it, and you're so unbelievably tired anyway. You will push through the day, knowing that every hour will be a struggle and not knowing how you will feel tomorrow. People will ask what is wrong, and you will simply smile and say 'nothing, I'm just tired
The Concept of Pailing and Troll AnatomyThe Concept of Pailing, Troll Anatomy, and Troll Developement.
The trolls reproductive cycle is truly a concept shrouded in mystery. The reproductive organs used still a secret on canon terms to many of us avid fans. Plenty of headcanons have been created to atone for this absence in knowledge. Many popular ones tend to resurface again and again. My own ideals on the anatomy of trolls are fairly similar to some of these widely known headcanons.
Most likely, the best method to describe anatomy would be to start with the actual method of reproduction itself. Filling buckets. The need for concupiscent partners is actual far more urgent on Alternia, and is more likely to be a stress filled action with the amount of weight such an action holds for trolls. It is far more complex a thing than your usual instincts for reproduction. When the Imperial Drones appear at a hive door, you had better be able to fill the Filial Pails with genetic material or face an immediate dea
10 Facts That Disprove Evolution1. We share half our DNA with bananas.
2. The fossil record has holes in it. Dinosaur and humans footprints were found side-by-side in Arizona and Turkmenistan. In Uzbekistan, 86 consecutive hoof prints of horses were found in rocks dating back to the dinosaurs. Petrified trees in Arizona's petrified forest have fossilized nests of bees and cocoons of wasps. Those forests are reputedly 220 million years old, while bees (and flowering plants which bees require) supposedly evolved almost 100 million years later.
3. No macro variations (speciation) in evolution have ever been observed. Micro evolution is species adaptations, and it's not the same as macro. Adjusting to the climate is very, very different than changing from species to another.
4. Humans have the most neurons in their brains but primates don't have even close to that amount. They aren't even in the top ten.
5. Radiometric dating does not take into account the way heat and water affect the aging of bones (it makes them appea
A How To on Writing Fanfiction
1. Intelligence is required. No matter how interesting or humorous a plot you may have, it is always better to read a well-written, intelligible fiction than a thrown-together piece of junk riddled with spelling/grammatical mistakes.
2. Plot is important. There are such things as PWP's (see PWP section), but other than that, plot is what really makes a story. What is happening is what makes the reader go on and want to read more.
3. Creativity is a must. No one wants to read the same thing that they have seen from 50 other writers. Try to be original, and if you see an idea you really like, improvise it a little without copying it outright.
4. Every element in the story matters. From the plot to the series to what happens to the characters, everything ties together to make the story what it is.
OVERALL WRITING SKILLS
Some writers are just naturally gifted and have a way with words. Others struggle with how to make complex senten
How to REALLY become Popular
Is it really worth it chasing after that meaningless "page view" count? Or is page views a synonym for popularity? Sure, we all want more watchers, but how much more? If you type the word "popular" in the DA search engine you will get a long stream of deviations bashing popular artworks and artists. I mean hey! It's easy to say "My art is 10 times better then that crap on the front page!", and it's okay to say that funnily enough, because art is subjective. But what's not okay to say is "I deserve to be more popular then them it's unfair!" the reason why they are more popular than you is because they know the "method".
Everybody's method is different find yours
What is this "method?" you must be thinking. The method is essentially their own way to gain awareness, sounds silly doesn't it? Most of the biggest artists on DA never asked to be popular; it just came to them naturally. Yet regardless, subconsciously they knew which deviations to upload would make a big hit.